Re: Newbies welcome, or not?

  • From: "bill thater" <shrek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:55:03 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:21:25 -0700
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Newbies welcome, or not?

> As Mark Powell has pointed out, folks get thrown into the position of
> DBA and/or Unix admin without much prior experience, and they don't
> have much say in the matter, short of finding new employment.  That
> is not always an option.  They may not yet have a good concept of how
> unix works, and don't yet appreciate the power of root.

that's exactally the way i became a DBA, a VAX system manager and a Unix SA
[what little of that i've done.]  i guess the concept of "i can screw up
everything if i type something wrong here" came easier to me that some other
people.  or maybe the sense of responsibility did.

> So, are we saying we should not answer newbie questions for folks that
> don't have a clue, and yet they are required to fill the position?

um... does that include RTFM as an answer?  some of the questions asked show
that they haven't made an attempt to do that.

> So, what's the consensus?

nope, i don't post enough to get into this one. so no answer from me.

--
Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

one ping to rule them all, one ping to find them,
one ping to bring them all, and in the mutex bind them.