Re: More spfile goodness

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 07:25:05 -0600

Parameter information isn't "control" information.  Parameters are just
input only, control information is read and updated constantly.  The fact
that the database can now update the SPFILE here and there still isn't quite
the same thing.

Putting everything in one file would doubtlessly create some kind of
"chicken-and-egg" problem during recovery situations, resulting in the
elimination of NOMOUNT mode?

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know if this has already
been mentioned, but Oracle is simply enabling more and more control of the
database structure from the "SQL>" command prompt.  Unless you look at
things from the perspective of never opening an OS command prompt and
managing everything from OEM, then features like "Oracle managed files",
DROP TABLESPACE INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES, and SPFILEs make no sense
at all.  Hence, the greatest resistance to these features comes from
dinosaurs (like me) who have never touched OEM except to install it for
someone else, because there is no benefit (except for the DROP TABLESPACE
command!)...

It just so happens that SPFILEs appear to be a particularly ill-considered
implementation of that goal.  Try again, Oracle!  The XML idea seems like a
good suggestion...

<Slightly OT>
In my opinion, Oracle is intent on eliminating the OS "middleware" on
database servers, positioning Oracle Enterprise Manager more true to its
name.  The current embracing of Linux isn't so much an endorsement of
Linux's superiority over other OS's (because it isn't -- except for
Windows), but rather Oracle taking yet another step toward eliminating the
OS down to its basest essentials.  The fact that Linux works so well and is
so economical just makes the decision more popular.  If Linus Thorvald or
someone else had instead written a popular freeware OS based on CP-M or
MULTICS, Oracle could've cared less and would have moved toward it anyway.
Luckily though, we have Linux...
</Slightly OT>

Just my $0.02...

-Tim