RE: Easy way to copy databases when using RMAN?

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 06:52:47 -0700

Are you sure  about the DBID being changed?  I took a database  which was
registered with RMAN and did a hot backup the old fashion way.  I then restored
the hot backup files  to another computer and also the required redo logs, ran
a create control file command on the "new" machine based upon "backup control
file to trace" on the old one which placed the "new" database in recovery mode
and also renamed it.  I applied to redo logs to the "clone" until it was at the
time I wanted.  I then opened it with reset logs.

When I tried to register the new database with Rman, I found it had the same
DBID as the old.

Ian MacGregor
Stanfod Linear Accelerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx