RE: More spfile goodness

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:08:22 +0100

Comments in line

In a word, no I wouldn't. ISTM that one job XML *is* ideally suited for is
configuration information - someone must have found some other useful
applications of XML somewhere mustn't they :). For example only the other day I
was installing some software and the configuration for the install was in a
file called, what was it now products.xml something like that anyway :).

>I think the point of not making the SPFILE directly editable
>is just a secu= rity thing.

I don't buy that at all. Any security breach that I can think of that involves
editing the spfile directly would likely be easily subverted. And anyway what
about os permissions on the file.

>For the actual details of WHY an SPFILE was created in binary
>form, you'd n= eed to talk to the developer who made that
>decision.

And as you pointed out to me only the header information is in binary form, the
parameters are still available in ASCII. Seems a kind of odd decision that one.

> I'm too=  lazy to have a deep philosophical
>disagreement with most things, let alone=  the existence of a
>file in an Oracle kernel.  :)

Not sure I'd go so far as to say that it was a phhilosophical disagreement,
more of a did the people who made this decision think about any adverse impacts
or were they just focussed on RAC/Autotuning etc, and did they ever administer
a db themselves?

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805

This email contains information intended for
the addressee only.  It may be confidential
and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of
the sender is strictly prohibited.