Re: More spfile goodness

  • From: "Nuno Souto" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 20:51:04 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>

> The SPFILE is needed more and more with new releases.  Handling some of
the=

Correction:
Oracle IS making use of the SPFILE more and more mandatory. There is
NO REASON whatsoever why it can't be for example an XML file
and still retain exactly and precisely the same functionality.

>  automatic memory management and so on can't be kept across instance
shutdo=
> wns without using the SPFILE.

Exactly and precisely *why*?

> I honestly can't see why people are so against using it.  I've had this
con=

Because they see no advantage whatsoever in introducing an additional level
of risk with yet another cryptic binary file, for no perceived gain
whatsoever
other than Oracle having decided "it should be so"?

> Exact same way you'd need to do it with a corrupted pfile I suppose.  And
o=

With the minor exception that text files like pfile do NOT get "corrupted"
EVER?  Stick with tried and true, rather than misadventures please?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx