Re: More Ammo Against Dynamic SQL?

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgravens@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:22:31 -0800 (PST)

Oh Rumpi, you are a brave man!  "VIEW" is a four letter word in my book and I
find them more abused than...than...dynamic SQL! :)

I do appreciate your input though..  I think views are easy to use and have
their benefits for developers, but when it comes to trouble-shooting
performance problems people have had challenges with?  In my experience, about
40% of them have VIEWS as their foundation... :)

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 8:07 PM

Here's a counter opinion from a developer.

I've been working in a shop that only allowed procedure/function/package
interfaces to the database.  That's all and very well and good if time and
budgets are not issues.  I have yet to see a web development environment who's
development wizards do not work better with a table/view than a
function/procedure interface to the underlying data.

I would submit that a nice compromise is to use views with instead of
triggers.  That can provide the best of both worlds -- access to development
environment productivity tools like code wizards while maintaining a pseudo
procedure/function interface to the application.

I am now thinking that this thread is missing the main point.
There should be no SQL queries whatsoever in the application.
It should only call functions, procedures and packages with business rules
stored in the database.

I'll leave on my own now, before those with development biases me out.....

--
Rumpi Gravenstein