Re: More Ammo Against Dynamic SQL?

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:03:54 -0800 (PST)

True oh true... :)  I had fantastic developers that I worked with when I was at
the Parenting Company, (eToys) and they could do amazing things with views as
well as dynamic SQL, but they knew the pitfalls to avoid and the right
combinations that worked.

I think that's one of the big frustrations for both DBAs and Developers-  there
are so many features out there, but the wrong combination or used in the wrong
way, you can end up with a database designed on a very shaky foundation-
something that often makes DBA's quite cranky.... :)

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 1:02 PM

<snip>
VIEW" is a four letter word in my book and I find them more abused
than...than...dynamic SQL
</snip>

In my view this falls into the power tool category.  Take the chainsaw,
depending on the hands you can end up with either massacre or an ice
sculpture.  There is much in the Oracle programming tool chest like that.

Rumpi Gravenstein