RE: Grid skepticism

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:27:15 -0500

I think you receive those deep discounts based on your leverage with Oracle.
If you are a large prospective customer that may buy a lot of licenses, they
get much more interested in discounting.
   Does anybody remember time-sharing? If you sell to the U.S. government
there is a law that you must give them the best deal you've ever given any
customer. For services at least. There were several components to pricing
time-sharing -- CPU cycles, disk storage, memory, etc. Some government
auditors went through our books looking for the best deal we'd ever given
any customer for any of the components. If some salesman had given a
customer free disk storage to close a deal, the auditors insisted that was
the price Uncle Sam would pay. Not pretty. These revelations may cost Oracle
in unexpected ways.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.