Re: Grid skepticism

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:10:24 +1000

Jesse, Rich apparently said,on my timestamp of 24/06/2004 6:14 AM:
> I don't agree with his analogy to the Great Eastern Blackout of '03.  =
> IIRC, that happened because of failures to maintain the structure of the =
> grid from years of patching into it and adding onto it.

What seriously worries me is when someone that is supposed to have a
credible point of view on the issue states this:

<QUOTE>
In fact, it's just that high cost that has boosted the popularity of MySQL.
At $500 per server, regardless of the number of CPUs, major Web sites that
utilize it can afford to throw as many servers at the problem as they need.
</QUOTE>

Either:
1- the guy has COMPLETELY misunderstood what grid is and how it works
or
2- the guy is a complete ignorant...

MySQL simply has NO SUPPORT for "throw as many servers at the problem
as they need".  It ain't work that way...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto