Re: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K or 4K or 8K ?

  • From: "Zhu,Chao" <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:32:09 +0800

Q1: I don't have performance test result about HP vxfs. But
vxfs@solarisusing directio does not seems to make much difference per
my past
experience. And whether direct IO helps/how much it helps really depends on
application profile. Same with Raw Devices. (more heavy write, more saving
on CPU and better throughput.)

Q2: see metalink note *139272.1

*I don't see any benefit of using 1k/4k filesystem pagesize for a 8k
db_block_size database. Won't consider that at all.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:49 PM, VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  ------------------------------
>
> *From:* zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx]
>
>  If direct io is being used, the difference maybe less.
>
> *Qs 1 -> What do you mean by "the difference maybe less."?*
>

> Anyway I don't see any benefit using 1k/4k blocksize.
> If you want best throughput, go with raw volumes.
>

> Have done all tuning on hp kaio setup to maximize os capability?
>
> *Qs 2 -> Could you share some "tuning on hp kaio setup" please?*
>

>  ------------------------------
>

> HP who is partnering the Benchmark states - since Filesystems are being
> Mounted with *Direct I/O* therefore 1K F.S. block size is preferred to 8K.
>

>  ------------------------------
>
> *From:* zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx]
>
> Of course set to 8k
>  ------------------------------
>
> We are in the process of Setting up DB Server for an OLTP Banking
> Application Benchchmark.
>

> HP-UX B.*11.31*
>
> system device block size(think this is the O.S. block size) = 1K
>
> Base page size = 4K.
>
> DB_block_size = 8K
>

> Should the Filesystem (VXFS) Block Size be set to *1K, 4K or 8K? …*Personally
> I think it should be 4 K (i.e. Equal to the Page-size)
>

> **************** CAUTION - Disclaimer ***************** This e-mail contains
> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely  for the use of the
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please  notify the
> sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not  to
> copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person
> and  any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys
> has taken  every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not
> liable for any damage  you may sustain as a result of any virus in this
> e-mail. You should carry out your  own virus checks before opening the e-mail
> or attachment. Infosys reserves the  right to monitor and review the content
> of all messages sent to or from this e-mail  address. Messages sent to or
> from this e-mail address may be stored on the  Infosys e-mail system.

Regards
Zhu Chao
www.cnoug.org