RE: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K or 4K or 8K ?

  • From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx" <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:38:03 +0530

Thanks V much Zhu

HP who is partnering the Benchmark states - since Filesystems are being Mounted
with Direct I/O therefore 1K F.S. block size is preferred to 8K.

Cheers

________________________________
From: zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx]

Of course set to 8k

________________________________
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:53:52 +0530
Folks

We are in the process of Setting up DB Server for an OLTP Banking Application
Benchchmark.

HP-UX B.11.31
system device block size(think this is the O.S. block size) = 1K
Base page size = 4K.
DB_block_size = 8K

Should the Filesystem (VXFS) Block Size be set to 1K, 4K or 8K? ... Personally
I think it should be 4 K (i.e. Equal to the Page-size)

Cheers & Thanks V much

Vivek

P.S. Will provide any data needed

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer ***************** This e-mail contains
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely  for the use of the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please  notify the sender
by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not  to copy,
disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and
any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
taken  every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
any damage  you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should
carry out your  own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment.
Infosys reserves the  right to monitor and review the content of all messages
sent to or from this e-mail  address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail
address may be stored on the  Infosys e-mail system. ***INFOSYS******** End of
Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***