RE: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K or 4K or 8K ?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:15:10 -0400

If the Oracle block size is 8K I see no valid reason why I would want an
OS block size less than 8K.  By having an 8K OS and Oracle block size
one Oracle IO will equal one OS IO.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148

________________________________

                From: zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx]

                If direct io is being used, the difference maybe less.

                Qs 1 -> What do you mean by "the difference maybe
less."?

                Anyway I don't see any benefit using 1k/4k blocksize.
                If you want best throughput, go with raw volumes.

                Have done all tuning on hp kaio setup to maximize os
capability?

                Qs 2 -> Could you share some "tuning on hp kaio setup"
please?

________________________________

                HP who is partnering the Benchmark states - since
Filesystems are being Mounted with Direct I/O therefore 1K F.S. block
size is preferred to 8K.

________________________________

                From: zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx]

                Of course set to 8k

________________________________

                We are in the process of Setting up DB Server for an
OLTP Banking Application Benchchmark.

                HP-UX B.11.31

                system device block size(think this is the O.S. block
size) = 1K

                Base page size = 4K.

                DB_block_size = 8K

                Should the Filesystem (VXFS) Block Size be set to 1K, 4K
or 8K? ... Personally I think it should be 4 K (i.e. Equal to the
Page-size)

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer ***************** This e-mail
contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely  for
the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
please  notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message.
Further, you are not  to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or
its contents to any other person and  any such actions are unlawful.
This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken  every reasonable
precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage  you
may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
out your  own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment.
Infosys reserves the  right to monitor and review the content of all
messages sent to or from this e-mail  address. Messages sent to or from
this e-mail address may be stored on the  Infosys e-mail system.

        Regards
        Zhu Chao
        www.cnoug.org