RE: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K or 4K or 8K ?

  • From: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:39:00 -0500

I'm finding that ASM is actually growing on me, maybe because it's
letting me lazy in some areas.  I don't now have x number of filesystems
to spread x number of datafiles per tablespace across.  I've got my one
diskgroup (everything is RAID5 so no real point on having more than 1)
and with ASM, OMF makes more sense to me since ASM creates it's own
physical name whether you name your datafiles or not.

This actually makes it easier from a storage standpoint for the 3 of us
DBAs.  Is a tablespace running out of space?  Expand it's datafile until
you can't (128GB with 32KB blocksize), then just add another without
worrying on the specific name and placement of the datafile.  ASM is
smearing data across raw devices just like we would previously do with
datafiles across filesystems.

Maybe I'm way off on best practices and performance impact.  I could be
since ASM is relatively new to me and unfortunately I don't have the
situation where I can compare apples-to-applies using filesystem to
raw-ASM.  If I am please do tell as we're in the process of configuring
10 new servers ranging from 8 to 23TB each.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA |   A c x i o m  M I C S / C S O

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax