RE: Certification

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>, <dlordster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 08:58:30 -0400

Any "What a DBA Should Know" list generates argument.  Having the Oracle
stamp on it doesn't make it any more authoritative and the members of
this list are notably irreverent when it comes to pronouncements that
can't be objectively measured.

Oracle does publish the syllabi for the DBA course material and some
free sample tests.  The certification program makes money for Oracle and
that's enough reason for them to market it.  Creating an online tutorial
and testing system that doesn't directly return something to the bottom
line is wasted effort.

Obviously all the material you need to train yourself as a DBA is
online.  What makes you read one thing and not another?  I don't' fill
all my free time reading Oracle material although I have 20 feet of
shelf space filled with Oracle reference books (most of them) written by
members of this list.

I got motivated to take the certification because I was on probation and
felt I wasn't up to the job I had gotten and had damn well better study.
The cert gave me an organized way to do it.   I had to pay a nominal
amount to do it and everybody knows that nothing worth doing is free.
To my organization my effort to attain the certification was noted.   It
seems to mean more to say that somebody sitting in the corner reading
is, "studying for certification" than, "He is sitting in the corner
reading."  One effort seems focused and one effort does not.  The
perception of what you are doing can be important.