Re: Certification

  • From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <revoohc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:46:34 -0500

My coworker and I used Sybex books to study for our 10g certifications (I
was upgrading my OCP, he was getting his OCA).  We were both fairly happy
with them.

If certification will help get you a significant raise, then I see no reason
why you shouldn¹t go for it.  There¹s no substitute for experience, but I
found that studying for the OCP helped round out my knowledge in those areas
that my experience was lacking.  It also looks good on a resume.  Simply
put, certification is a tool, and while it doesn¹t prove that I¹m an
³expert,² I don¹t mind having it in my toolbox.

On 5/22/07 8:23 PM, Chris Hoover wrote:

> I normally agree about certification not being worth much more than the paper
> it is printed on.  However, I have an opportunity in front of me for a 10-20k
> pay raise if I update my Oracle dba skills.  The job would eventually require
> me to be certified, so I figured that if I go ahead and at least pass the oca
> and ocp tests.  Taking these test will help me refresh and update my Oracle
> skills, along with giving me the edge I should need to land this job.
>
> So spend about $300-500 now (no I won't actually be an ocp, since I don't have
> the money and time right now to pay to attend an Oracle Class), and be in
> position for a 10-20K raise in the next few months.  If I get the position,
> then they would pay the money to complete the ocp and possibly even the
> master/expert level.
>
> Just my 2 cents on why I want certification

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator
Pensacola Christian College