Re: Certification

  • From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:03:55 +0200

On 5/30/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(SNIP)
There are 2 factors at work here, one the quality of the instruction I have
to say Oracle University seem to have pretty much covered, I've not had bad
experiences at all there. The second is the quality of the exam - her I
think OU (and the other vendors) falls down badly since their exams can
essentially be passed without study, but purely by memorising exam cram
books. The remedy for this IMO isn't to require an attendance certificate,
but to ensure that the exam requires thought and understanding to pass - old
style written questions seem to work well in this regard but I'm not holding
my breath on that one.

Or at least scenario based - eg

create table t .. partitioned by ..
insert into t values (...)
In which partition will the row be ?

or "what will be the output of this piece of pl/sql code ?",
"how many version of this statement will be in the library cache ?"

I recall only some questions being scenario-based, I think they should be *all*
done this way, plus some focusing on the architecture.

--
Alberto Dell'Era
"dulce bellum inexpertis"