Re: Certification

I usually compare the OCP Certification to the first exam for the
Driving License - where you must show, in a quiz, that you
know the meaning of road signals, how a car works, etc.

Sure you learn a lot while studying for the exam, yet
that doesn't make you a winning Formula One / NASCAR driver.

Unfortunately the latter is what many non-technical recruiters believe
(or fortunately for the unexperienced career-seeker).

On 5/30/07, David Lord <dlordster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stephen,

Isn't that always the case with exams?  No one employs me for being
good at passing exams; its the knowledge I've picked up on the way
that counts.  I very much doubt I would have spent every evening for a
month reading about 10g new features without the incentive of an exam
at the end of it; not to mention the mick I'd have taken out of me if
I failed.

David

On 30/05/07, Stephen Booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe I'm bweing picky but what you both seem to really be saying is
> that it was the studying for the OCP that was useful, not the OCP
> itself.  If Oracle just published each year a list of topics (possibly
> along with links to online tutorials and reference texts) saying
> something like "We think this is what a DBA should know.", maybe
> include some 'Test you knowledge' quizes, wouldn't that be as useful?
>
> Stephen

Alberto Dell'Era
"dulce bellum inexpertis"