Re: Certification

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: revoohc@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:01:45 +0000

I am certified as both a developer and a DBA. I don't find it useful at all. A
few people are impressed by it, but not many. I did not find the tests to be
very impressive and the upgrade exams are kind of silly. I continue to upgrade
my DBA certs just to have it on my resume since a small number of people want
it.

When I interview I can careless whether someone is certified. I don't look at
it and I don't ask.

I interviewed an Oracle Certified Master last fall and he was by far the best
person I ever interviewed. Howevever, the OCM is prohibitively expensive
especially if you include the classes you have to take. A former company of his
paid for it. I am not sure if there is a return on investment for an OCM unless
your company pays for it or unless you are a very high end(multi-hundred dollar
an hour consultant) and need to justify your rates. Other than that you will
not see a compensation increase to warrant the cost an effort.

Also, keep in mind that Oracle now requires a 1 week $3,000 basic DBA class to
get certified. Unless your company is paying for this its again not worth it.
If you have 7 years experience as a DBA you should find the certification exam
relatively easy. The questions you will have trouble with will be stuff that is
not that important anyway. Just get the Sybex Certification books. I use those
for upgrade exams. They are good enough.
From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc@xxxxxxxxx>
I have been a dba for 7 years working with many different databases.  I am
wanting to get certified in Oracle(10G) to help open up some doors.  Can anyone
recommend the best book(s) to purchase to study for the oca and ocp tests?  I
have several years of Oracle experience, but it has been a couple of years
since I've done a lot of work with Oracle.

Thanks for any recommendations,

chris