Re: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: srcdco@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:54:14 -0700

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Scott Canaan <srcdco@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   The official word from Oracle is that unless we use their virtual
> environment, then we will not be in a supported environment.

That is not quite correct.

Please see MOS *249212.1 to determine if you can live with their VMWare
support policy.*
*
*

>  My question is: Is anyone else running Oracle in the VMWare virtual
> environment?  If so, have you run into any issues and how much did Oracle
> support help you?
>
> The issues I have encountered running Oracle on VMWare have mostly been
oracle related.
Those that were vmware related were obviously vmware problems. eg.  clock
not keeping time on linux.

The databases I use in our lab for testing are all VMWare on linux and
windows.
We even have an entire eBusiness suite system running on a small server
under VMWare.
The only issue there has been keeping the clock synced.  That's a VMWare
tools issue.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com