RE: Anyone Running Oracle on VMWare?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: William Muriithi <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:01:53 -0700

We implemented on a VMWare cluster mainly for high availability and
flexibility.  We can quickly move a virtual DB host from one physical to
another without any downtime or loss of active sessions via VMotion.  We have
the flexibility to run other virtuals on the same host as the DB if we
want/need to in the future, but for now, we have plenty of hardware to
accommodate everything so we give the DB servers their own machines and
consolidate our Windows and App servers on other machines.

From: William Muriithi [mailto:william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Curious, what was the incentive of using vmware considering your are running
just one instance?