Re: ASM LUN sizes and number of disks

  • From: "K Gopalakrishnan" <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:49:01 -0600

Hrishy,

The number of spindles are dependent on the required IOPS. In theory a
15K drive (Fiber channel) can sustain around 150-180 IOPS.
So if you are short on IOPS going to higher capacity disks will make
your database much slower (in your new/upgraded config you are
essentially cutting the I/O capacity by half) .

Look at your AWR/Statspack to figure out your IOPS requirement and
make your decision on moving to 200G drives.

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface, Oracle Press 2004
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/007222729X/

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/