Re: ASM LUN sizes and number of disks

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:04:22 -0600

Hirshy,

In general, System Administrators like few large disks and DBAs like many
disks.
For anybody to give you a rule of thumb, they would need to know a lot more
about your particular database and application.
If I were you, the questions I would ask are:

Is your performance satisfactory now?
How many devices is your database spread over now?
In the proposed configuration, how many devices would you have?
If the proposed arrangement would not change your layout significantly, go
for it.
If you were, for example, dropping from 6 drives to 2, then you might
well be concerned.
How about disk controllers? Any change there? Cache?

Dennis Williams