Re: ASM LUN sizes and number of disks

  • From: "Finn Jorgensen" <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:55:05 -0500

Because of the way ASM distributes data evenly across all disks in a
diskgroup, adding 200GB disks to an existing diskgroup comprising of 50GB
disks means you will never be able to use more than 50GB of those 200GB
disks.

You will have to add those disks to a separate diskgroup and then start
moving data over, which means downtime.

Finn