RE: 9i RAC or 10g RAC ?

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:07:11 -0500

Yes, GFS would be nice.  I've also been waiting for a beta of Veritas' =
CFS for Linux since December '03, but it's still a no-show.

I haven't messed with OCFS since v1.08, but it indeed was scary then.  =
It flat out refused to work under RH9 (AS2.1 wouldn't support our =
hardware and we didn't want to spend $ on AS3), until I hacked it with a =
modified RH9 patch for JFS.  Like Oracle says, OCFS is only meant to =
handle Oracle datafiles for RAC and nothing else.  And they mean it.  =
Oracle PIO performance was so bad (~1M/s), that I dumped OCFS in favor =
of raw.  I did see a presentation of Wim's on OTN about some tips on =
implementing OCFS that I didn't do, such as the OCFS versions of cp, dd, =
etc., but I don't see what that would have to do with Oracle PIO =
performance.

I see that OCFS has newer versions now.  Perhaps it performs better now, =
or perhaps it's just easier to get it to perform.  If you want RAC to =
install easily (and probably run like it was meant to), try it out on =
OpenVMS.  Has anyone here tried RAC on an OpenVMS cluster?  It looks =
(*looks*) like it's a no-brainer setup, thanks to the most mature and =
stable clustering around.  :)

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA