From: Robert Blok [mailto:robert.blok@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 4:22 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 9i RAC or 10g RAC ?

Itching hands thanks to Piet's hint on this thread.

I have the same experience using 9i on Dell hardware with the EMC
Clariion storage using OCFS. Lots and lots of issues. Finally, we've
gone to using Polyserve Filesystem. This gave some relieve. The hardware
is still not so stable, but hey, who cares? The combination of SLES-8
with Polyserve is a working solution (specially with the 2.6.1 release)!

Cary is right that if you are in the position that you can do with a
single instance you should, but there are environments in which a
cluster may have benefits. The more complex the solution, the lower the
uptime usually is. But if you have a grid-like environement (lots of
databases in a pool of servers, you would be capable of "moving" your
server around to smear out performance hotspots in your cluster/grid.
Lot of hacking, but hey aren't we around for this?

I have tested 10g RAC and my advise is: Wait for the next version to
even try it (hopefully by the end of the year). We have build a cluster,
but adding a node was asking too much from the system.

Robert.

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- File: Montgomerie Steve.vcf