Re: 9i RAC or 10g RAC ?

  • From: "zhu chao" <chao_ping@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:54:09 +0800

During my 2 years' experience running both linux and solaris,
single instance oracle on linux never crashed. Single instance on solaris
crashed 1 time.
RAC linux crashed several times(now it is 9205). Reasons:
1. Earlier version used watchdog, which is quite poor.Human error rebooted
one node and the other node crashed too.
2. Time adjust crash one node in earlier versions(version before 9.2.0.3),
now seems fixed.
3. Unknown reason, one node hang with one session reporting 7445. Whole
machine hangs. Hangcheck does not reboot the instance.
4. Data guard host hangs(run out of memory) and arch process hangs too,
which caused the database hang.(not related to rac , though).
5. With RAC, some batch operation got very slow during system maintenance
when load is very low.

    If for high avaliable, RAC is indeed not a very good solution, unless
you can always wait to 8.1.7.4 or 9.2.0.5 etc, and you application is really
stable and designed for RAC. RAC is more easy to crash indeed.

Regards
Zhu Chao.