RE: 9i RAC or 10g RAC ?

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:48:32 -0500

I have not actually built out a RAC system, but keep in mind the
possible hidden costs...your 4x3 linux boxes will need to be tightly
coupled, both hardware and software, with fibre optic network
connections.  Also be sure that your app supports the RAC environment.
Make sure you are "pure oracle" in your backup and recovery.  Some third
party software, especially for systems backup and admin, will have
issues with RAC.  Not that it can't be done, but that's still another
layer of complexity.

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio