Re: Extra Columns to be added in Oracle Base Table

  • From: Luis Freitas <lfreitas34@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:54:14 -0700 (PDT)

Amit,

Altering the base table is a very bad idea.

If you add new columns, adpatch may fail on this table on every patch that
updates the ODF file that contains it. You will then have to maintain all the
tables and indexes on this particular ODF file manually, and this might be very
complex or even impossible.

Either create a new custom table to contain your fields and reference it to the
base table using the primary key or use a separating character to store several
fields on one attribute column.

Regards,
Luis