[optimal] Re: question about OCT-C Certification

  • From: "Egnatz, Thomas James" <tegnatz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:53:01 -0400

I agree using 1/1/1900 is a good way of de-identifing a patient record.

Older medical studies would use a patient's initials (instead of patient study number) and the patient's actual birthday. Usually the majority of subjects lived in the county or bordering county of where the study was conducted.

I read an article where software could use the initials, DOB and the county of residence to determine the patient's identity with about an 80% accuracy rate.

Privacy is such a quaint notion in the age of the internet.

Tom

Quoting Cornelia Beyer <ulmerconny@xxxxxxxxx>:

Agee with Gary , we only use 1/1/1990 for OCT-Portfolio and Clinical Trial
purposes

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Steve Lusk <slusk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have quite a mundane question that as a group, we are split on. Under
the naming convention for OCT, do we enter the applicants birthday or is
1-1-1900 simply used as a signifier to satisfy the software requirements.
Thanks

Steve Lusk, CRA
Vistar Eye Center Retina Consultants
5296 Peters Creek Road
Roanoke, VA 24019
Phone: (540) 342-3400 ext. 4731
Fax: (540) 362-1155
slusk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.vistareye.com

The information contained in this email may contain confidential health
information that is privileged and legally protected from disclosure by
federal law, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual
or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that reading, disseminating, disclosing, distributing, copying,
acting upon or otherwise using the information contained in this
facsimile
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error,
please notify the sender immediately.

Thank you.