[optimal] Re: Spectralis

  • From: "Allen R. Katz" <alkatz2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 19:49:39 -0500

SPECTRALIS Sound Level Summary
The SPECTRALIS® system has been tested to IEC (International Electrotechnical
Commission) and Federal OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)
standards and falls well within the guidelines for safe sound levels.
Test results for the SPECTRALIS system meet the sound level requirements of the
IEC standard for medical electrical equipment.
As tested, the maximum recorded sound level was 50.8 decibels, which is
classified as “moderate.” For comparison, the sound level of normal
conversation is about 60 db. (See Sound Level Comparison table below.) Federal
standards place limits on work environment sound exposure starting with 90
decibels, with a limitation of 8 hours of exposure. For more information visit
the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration website at:
www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9735
Sound Level Comparison*
Painful
130 dB = jackhammer
120 dB = jet plane take-off, amplified rock music at 4-6 ft., car stereo, band
practice
Extremely Loud
110 dB = rock music, model airplane
90 dB = lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic, subway
Very Loud
80 dB = alarm clock, busy street
60 dB = conversation, dishwasher
Moderate
50 dB = moderate rainfall
40 dB = quiet room
Faint
30 dB = whisper, quiet library
*This sound comparison chart and further information on “noise” can be found at
the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association website:
http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/disorders/noise.htm

Allen R Katz, CRA COT OCT-C

CRA Section Chair
PO Box 24147
Omaha NE 68124-0147

Telephone: 402-598-0925

FAX: 402-393-5886

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:06:52 -0400
Subject: [optimal] Spectralis
From: rbsantora@xxxxxxxxx
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To All,

Is there any concerns about the high pitched frequency sound from the
Spectralis causing potential harm? I have suggested discreet protective ear
wear by anyone that is uncomfortable around the sound.  I was asked by our docs
to start a thread to see how other offices are addressing this. Thanks