[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:01:20 -0500

At 9:39 AM -0600 12/11/04, Doug McDonald wrote:
>My point ... which is clear if you watch Fox enough
>on a true 720p display ... is that true 720p produced
>material clearly IS better than even the best 480 material
>converted to 720p by Fox using really really good
>conversion equipment. The original quoted material
>is wrong abot 480 being "just fine" on a 720 display.
>In fact it is inferior, if still quite nice.

This is as one would expect. There is a great deal of useful detail
in the realm between 704 and 1280 samples per line. Unfortunately Fox
does not have the ability to fully exploit 480P as they must run the
outputs of the cameras through an upgraded SDI processing
infrastructure that is limited to 720(704) samples per line. IF the
480P cameras could output 854 samples per line the difference between
it an 720P would not be a dramatic.

I would also like to point out that some of the loss of resolution
that Doug is seeing in motion with 720p is another form of artefact
that John did not discuss in his analysis. That is, he is seeing
MPEG-2 compression artefacts, because the ATSC channel and/or other
downstream MPEG-2 concatenation errors are removing detail from the
images.  Of course, with 1080i this just get's worse.