[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:44:18 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> "I don't care for Mike Tooms' simplistic view of high definition.
> Resolution is not the only parameter. What about the artefacts?
>
> "When an interlaced picture is watched by a tracking eye, at a very low
> vertical speed the lines in successive fields are superimposed on the
> retina, leaving a subsampled image that is riddled with aliasing. Thus to
> say that 720p doesn't have much more resolution than 625i is to be utterly
> ill-informed. On real TV material, the dynamic resolution of 720p is about
> three times that of 625i. In addition 720p doesn't flicker or alias. You
> can tell an interlaced TV from a progressive TV several hundred feet away
> because of the difference in flicker.

One has to be realistic about motion. At least as seen at present,
any significant motion causes resolution in the diredction
of motion, even on a true 720p LCD or DLP or plasma
set, even with real 720 transmission, to go totally and
obviously to very low ... because of the blueeing effect
of the finite "shutter speed" of the camera. Either you
get blur or you get, with say a 1/1000 second "shutter speed",
a catenation of sharp pictures.

> "Those who understand imaging will also know that the resolution of a
> display is always less than the number of lines it contains because of
> aperture effects. Thus a display with 1024 physical lines will be perfectly
> matched to a 720p transmission by use of an interpolator. Interlace
> complicates the design of interpolators.

I don't understand this .... resolution is resolution. There
will be no information from 360 to 512 cycles in the above scenario,
where there will be in a real 1024p picture. What does he mean
by "aperture effects". I am here of course talking about modern,
separate pixel TV sets ... CRTS are passe.

In the real world, the difference in resolution between
real 720 and Fox's current and suberbly good professional
480p -> 720 conversion is quite obvious, and real 720p is better.
Watch Fox a lot and you will see.

> "Consequently as far as I am concerned, the logical choice for future TV
> broadcasts is 720p and this has been understood for several years now.

> I have a feeling John's comments may provoke some interesting reaction. And
> you have all of the holiday season to compose your thoughts! (Next
> 'Prompt!' - 07 January 2005.)

I suspect that there are excellent cases to be made for,
for non-sports programming, 1080@30p.

Remember when older people talk about resolution, press
them, very hard to make sure thay are not suffering
legacy CRT-based biases. Discrete pixel displays change things.

Doug McDonald