[opendtv] Re: Why Europe should choose 720P for HDTV

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:12:05 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:
> For the 'real life' benefits of 1080i just read the AV Science Forum.
> The 1080i stations (all but Fox & ABC/Disney) seem to be generally rated
> as having a better picture. www.avsforum.com ,

I read that site a lot.

There is a BIG caveat to that statement you made: "by people
who have 1080i CRT displays".

We need to wait until lots of true discrete pixel 1080p displays
get out there and lots of people look at them.

I have looked very hard at lots of displays ... zero being
true 1080p ... and I simply do not see the 1080i advantage.
I do see, on some displays, interlace artifacts. Interestingly,
however, I also see no DISadvantage on my own 720p display
if I set my STB to display 1080i for a true 720p source.
It should be there in the form of interlace artifacts,
on true 720@60p material (football) but I don't see it.

Doug McDonald