[opendtv] Re: Superbowl XL(1080)I

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:55:03 -0500

At 11:35 AM -0800 2/5/07, John Willkie wrote:
Sounds to me like WIVB-DT had the settings on their encoders set properly.

Maybe Nick and family thought all of those blocking artifacts on the graphic transitions were [art of the special effects...

;-)

We had several features like that in the first Grass Valley DVEs; these included quantization effects and blocking effects (matrix wipes). We nicknamed them "defects"

I just replayed the first 10 minutes of the game on my Cox DVR. The worst artifact came from the graphics swoops, especially at the end of replays and team introductions. The picture remained block and quantized for about 1 second at the end of these "swoops." I also noticed a number of shots with problems (mostly close ups with rapid motion).

On the plus side, it looks like most commercials were produced in HD.