[opendtv] Re: Superbowl XL(1080)I

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:58:21 -0800

Is the RC descriptor valid if it only appears
in the PAT and not in the PSIP?

Ron

John Willkie wrote:

John;

Null packets are what encoders provide when there is no other data to send.

If the total data rate is more than 19.39 mb/sec, then you've got a problem. There has to be a setting on the encoder or mux to specify the maximum output bit rate and whether to furnish null packets to pad out that bit rate, which is generally what one wants to do.

Video bps + audio bps + psip/psi bps + null packets bps = total bit rate (assuming no packetized data streams)

I don't see any issue with bit rate in this sample. The mux rate is 19.39, there are no CRC-32 errors, no continuity_counter errors. If there were too many bits per second, these would signal it.

I do wonder why the image looks to be 4:3, since HD video by definition is 16:9.

Notice the redistribution control (rc) on the video?

Hth

John Willkie

EtherGuide Systems