[opendtv] Re: Superbowl XL(1080)I

At 10:07 AM -0800 2/6/07, John Willkie wrote:
It sounds like you weren't paying attention.  I didn't notice an iota of
criticism in Nick's post.  I thing you've confused his post (to which I
replied) with John Shutt's posting. John talked about macroblocking on graphics transitions.
There is much variation as to how stations transmit video.  Not all encoders
are set right.  It sounds like someone at WIVB got it right, but a different
case in Lansing.  Maybe they were constraining bandwidth so that cable and
ota customers got the same bit rate.

Give it up John.

Nick said they did not see the artifacts that several others have reported.

Perhaps the station Nick was watching does have a better encoder, however, I seriously doubt that the graphics swoops can be encoded at 18Mbps by ANY encoder without visible compression artifacts. Maybe the station low pass filtered the entire feed to eliminate these artifacts.

For what it is worth, some people are more attuned to looking for and seeing compression artifacts.