[opendtv] Re: Rising to the occasion ...

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:01:05 -0500

Aha, mystery solved!

Looking at my boss' TSReader, it appears that the bottom image on our own group of channels is also a 16:9 image, just like the bottom image in John's first TSReader screen shot.

However, upon closer inspection, you will note that on the bottom image of the top screen shot the TSReader information, in green, is superimposed over black, but on the other thumbnails the green TSReader information is superimposed over active video.

What the bottom screen is showing is a 4:3 aspect ratio image with a 16:9 letterbox within it.

Again proving my point.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, but I think we are all clear that there are VERY FEW 704x480i 16:9 native program streams out there, but there are literally thousands of 4:3 aspect ratio streams with letterboxed 16:9 within. We broadcast three ourselves.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Since a few people have accessed the screen grabs, I could probably help
with identifications.  The top image is of KCET.  You will note in the
thumbnails on the right of the screen, the bottom one is 704x480 16x9 video.

The second one is KYES-DT.  The thumbnail on the bottom is 704x480 16x9
video.