[opendtv] Re: Local TV stations face uncertain future

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:59:51 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> The "shot heard around the world" precipitating this likely
> outcome was the ATSC receivers very poor performance achieved
> during Sinclair's 1999 ATSC/COFDM tests. Given such bad news
> the Networks recognized the need for alternative business plans.
> IMO, had the second generation receivers resolved the reception
> issue as promised, this plan B may have never been pursued to
> this outcome.

But I think these are two different discussions, Dale.

The article talks about issues not with OTA TV per se, but with the
affiliated station model. The idea put forward is to put CBS content on
cable without having the affiliate middleman. And it even mentions that
the networks own some of the largest stations and won't give them up
right away.

The question for the FCC is, will you guys save OTA TV by relaxing the
national cap, or will you play in the hands of the MVPDs? Why should OTA
TV necessarily be burdened with "local content" that cable channels are
not burdened with? Where is it written that TV viewers believe in the
"local content" mantra, if the vast majority of them are perfectly happy
watching cable channels that have no "local content"?

Does anyone really believe that people who watch CBS OTA are interested
in anything different from those who watch CBS over cable?

Obviously, CBS can decide to air its content only via MVPDs. They will
lose a percentage of their audience, those who just won't get tethered.