[opendtv] Re: Local TV stations face uncertain future

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:11:24 -0500

At 6:37 AM -0500 3/1/09, Mark Aitken wrote:
Don't forget that local mobile is (almost completely) built out!

Yup!

Now all you need is a large installed base of receivers and content that people will watch on these devices...

I would note that the ATSC infrastructure has "been built out" for half a decade, adding many new programming choices for OTA viewers. But the audience continues to decline.

I have faith that broadcasters like Sinclair can turn Mobile DTV into a success story. But YOU will need to (re) INVENT the medium, as the networks that were invested in radio did in the '50s to build the new Broadcast TV medium.

You won't be getting much help from the networks this time...