[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:24:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> You are missing the whole dynamic of what happened. IBM designed the
>> PC to be an open platform. Hardware and software. Apple did not do
>> this with the Mac. That's why the PC, with DOS and then Windows OSs,
>> got the lion's share of business sales.
>
> That's pure crap!
>
> Windows won for two MAJOR reasons:
>
> 1. Microsoft Office (and the fact that the Mac version was always a
> generation behind and MS kept changing the file formats).

Are you really that clueless, Craig?

PCs predate Windows. Popular business aplications were hardly always Microsoft
Office. Businesses used PCs simnply because there was a whole lot of software
written for them that was not available on Aplle's computers.

For instance, on PCs, we used Smartware, we used Lotus, we used Pathworks, we
used WordPerfect, we used FoxPro, all BEFORE Windows came around.

Windows simply followed on the success of the PC. And then slowly, Microsoft
took over the business software with their own products. You can't do your
analysis by statring with Windows.

> There is no compelling reason for telecom to be a monopoly. It's ALL
> about interconnection and allowing access to the wired networks.

And the regulations on them are changing, Craig. Verizon's FiOS service is one
example.

I think you have made snother misinterpretation of facts here, just like
recently when who-knows-what told you that I never went to the movies. We go to
the movies constantly, it is you who don't.