[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 18:58:14 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I don't know if my view of it is accurate, but I thought both
> Apple and Microsoft had software development kits for their
> respective operating systems and both SDKs had very rigorous
> and tight requirements.  The difference between the two was
> that Microsoft didn't confirm that the third-party software
> followed their specifications while Apple had to bless any
> software for the Mac.

Yes, but like Craig does, you start by putting an Apple-like straightjacket on
PCs first, then you make the comparison.

The PC is an IBM design. Right from the start, you could buy anyone's hardware
or you could build your own. You even have a choice of CPU manufacturer.

The PC does not necessarily run a Microsoft operating system. In the old DOS
days, for instance, any user could go out and buy "doctor DOS" (DR DOS) and
replace MS-DOS. Now you can do the same with Linux, although Linux won't run
the same application software as Windows, where the DOS variants did run each
other's programs. No need to clear any of this with anyone, and no fear of
being taken away in chains.

And like you say, no one needs to ask for permission before creating their own
application software for Windows, or on Linux, or the DOSes.

That's why PCs were and are so much more commonplace. It may not make a big
difference to the home user, but it does make a difference in industry. I call
the Apple model a walled garden because everything is closed shop. It looks
like their tight grip on the iPhone might be in jeopardy, though.