[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:47:31 -0400

PCs predate Windows. Popular business aplications were hardly always Microsoft Office. Businesses used PCs simnply because there was a whole lot of software written for them that was not available on Aplle's computers.

And there was software for the Mac that did not exist for the PC. So what?

When we started deploying PCs at Grass Valley in the early '80s we rand Lotus 123 and Volkswritter. This was mandated by the corporate IT department.

When I bought my first Mac in 1984, the FIRST application I bought for it was Microsoft Word. Mcrosoft actually wrote quite a few apps for the Mac in the early years...

By the end of the '80s when Microsoft was playing with a GUI app called Windows, they were already well on their way to dominating corporate computing thanks to Office. It was not until Windows 95 that they finally delivered a graphical user interface that worked well. By then they had already won the war for the reasons I stated in the previous message.

For instance, on PCs, we used Smartware, we used Lotus, we used Pathworks, we used WordPerfect, we used FoxPro, all BEFORE Windows came around.

And all of these were decimated by Office, BEFORE Windows 95.

Don't get hung up on the term Windows - it's just a marketing term. MS DOS has been at the core of Microsoft's juggernaut.

Windows simply followed on the success of the PC. And then slowly, Microsoft took over the business software with their own products. You can't do your analysis by statring with Windows.

Sorry, I mistakenly called all that Microsoft has done Windows, rather than explaining that there has been a progression from MS DOS to Windows 7. This does not change the fundamental argument that Microsoft won in corporations by aligning itself with the disenfranchised IT departments.