[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:41:28 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Wait, Tom, I'm struggling to follow your logic.
>
> IBM failed to close its shop in time, when they first designed the original
> ISA PC, and they are now out of the PC business altogether.
>
> Apple instead created a walled garden, and they continue to sell their
> overpriced products with their limited-use applications.
>
> Tell me again why it's a bad idea to protect your technology? I mean, from a
> company's viewpoint?
>
> Bert

IBM went from being open and more easily cloned to much more closed and
less desirable.   Apple became more open and more popular.  I'll leave
it as an exercise to the reader.

Though I think there is probably a happy medium somewhere between being
a nice guy and being a sucker.  I tend to personally prefer open but
don't claim it is always the best business case in extremes.

- Tom