[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:55:44 -0400

Nonsense. EVEN a PC running Windows is less walled, simply because Microsoft does not have a final say on what applications will be marketed. Consistency, Craig.

Uhhhh Bert...

Consistency means staying on argument, not confusing the argument by cherry picking bits from separate discussions then applying these bits to suit your purpose.

Apple has NO say with respect to what applications are available for the Mac. There is no approval process for Macintosh applications, nor has there ever been one.

They did try to control the hardware that clone makers could produce in the '90s, but were no more successful at this than IBM was in controlling the original PC architecture. The first thing Jobs did when he returned in 1997 was to kill the Mac clones.

Like Microsoft, Apple has developer programs for the Mac and encourage developers to use the best tools and resources; they even created virtualization software when they switched from the PowerPC to Intel processors to allow apps written for the old architecture to continue working, although they encouraged developers to write native apps for OSX.

And as for consistency, Microsoft has consistently copied just about every Apple innovation, and they have either bought or run competitors out of key application markets when they were concerned about losing control over their monopoly.

This is not debatable - they have settled anti-trust lawsuits brought both in the U.S. and Europe. Sure anyone could create a web browser to run on PCs, but Microsoft integrated Explorer with the OS and made it nearly impossible to use competing browsers, until the U.S. government and the EU forced them to open up their"open platform.

When you are inconsistent, which seems to be the case often, your arguments lose credibility. I'm telling it like it is. I've never been the one to demonize patneted IP, on the other hand.

You are telling it the way you believe it to be. As is the case with many of your comments on this forum, you are consistently argumentative and often wrong.

With respect to Apple, I have been telling it like it is...in reality.

Please tell me ANYTHING I have written about Apple in recent weeks that is not factual.

BUT...

Please DO NOT reiterate your opinions on why the PC won because it was "open." It won because Microsoft understood how to dominate the enterprise while Apple floundered because of poor business decisions and ineffectual management...until Jobs returned.