[opendtv] Re: HDTV-Brochure_2005final

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:09:59 -0500

>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  But HDTV was also important to CBS and Flaherty,
>
>I really don't get this attitude *at all* here.

It's hard to resist a personal comment here, but...

>Ever since I was a grade school kid, I wondered
>why movies, projected slides, and even 8mm home
>movies were *so* infinitely better quality than
>anything out of the idiot box. And mind you,
>this is when TV for me was the 819 line French
>system.

Were you raised in France Bert? It might help to explain a few things...

;-)

>I don't understand why anyone would need to look
>for conspiracy theories to figure out why HDTV
>is a natural and good thing. It should be drop
>dead obvious. That CBS had more vision than
>others is only incidental.

There are no conspiracy theories here Bert. This stuff is well documented.

But you fell into the trap again.

Most of the shows on CBS, and the other networks for that matter were
ALREADY being shot using a high resolution medium that HDTV still
cannot equal - FILM.

AND, at that time, the networks were limited in the number of prime
time hours that could be produced in house.

Most important to this discussion, however, was the FACT, documented
by yourself and Dale, that broadcasters WERE NOT considering the
delivery of HDTV to the viewer, at the time we are talking about.

The only advantage to CBS of using HDTV versus film, was that for
in-house production they could avoid hiring members of the elite
Hollywood craft unions.

If you want to suggest that Flaherty and CBS were not thinking about,
or lobbying for, the elimination of the Syn Fin rules in the early
'80s, we can talk.

The FCC did not respond to the pressure from the networks and start
to relax the FynSyn rules until 1991.