[opendtv] Re: HDTV-Brochure_2005final

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:46:20 -0500

> > In support of item two, Farouja Labs developed
> > an NTSC based system which I believe they called
> > Super NTSC. They demonstrated the system at NAB
> > (~1982) and it looked very good. I believe that
> > it incorporated a line doubled display but I
> > don't recall the details.
>
> Correct.  It was also proposed in a version with a
> 1.618:1 aspect ratio (Yves was a fan of the Golden
> Mean), and it used his other tricks for improving
> composite NTSC.

(Not that I understand what correlation there might
be between pleasing proportions for Greek temples
and a good "window to the world" aspect ratio.)

I think the idea of improving an existing system to
the extent possible is always preferable to a big
revolutionary change, to get improvements
implemented quickly and with the least pain. But
ultimately, the revolutionary redesign provides the
better long term solution.

The old laserdisk standard was improved with digital
sound, and was quite good. But I doubt anyone is
sorry the DVD and MPEG-based TV in general were
developed.