[opendtv] Re: HDTV-Brochure_2005final

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:07:22 -0500

At 11:32 AM -0500 1/17/05, Mark Aitken wrote:
>IMHO, herein lies one of the biggest issues in getting the "digital
>transition" completed. CEA... When we see pieces like the one linked, we
>are asking the question:
>"Is this a conscious omission, or is someone just 'caught up' in the hype?"

Neither. It is difficult to call something an=20
omission, when it is virtually irrelevant to the=20
business model of the industry that is issuing=20
the statements.

>Kind of tough to move an "Over-The-Air" transition forward when
>consumers can not be given the (whole) truth!

Who is to say that DTV broadcasts are even=20
relevant to this so called transition? It seems=20
that the broadcast business model has been in=20
decline for many reasons that predate HDTV and=20
the so called DTV transition.

Last time I checked, Sinclair was the ONLY=20
broadcast group that is even TRYING to promote=20
OTA DTV.

>http://www.ce.org/shared_files/resources/HDTV-Brochure_2005final.pdf
>Statements like this:
>
>The 3 SIMPLE Steps To HDTV
>Step 2 Get the Programming
>Call your local Cable or Satellite provider to order HDTV Programming -
>the only way to get the full HD movie theater experience in your home.
>You=92ll have a variety of dedicated HD Channels to choose from.
>Where is OTA in this equation?

Where it has been for the past two decades - on=20
cable, it is typically in the range of channels=20
2-16. On DBS it may or may not even exist.

In case you had not noticed Mark, even the=20
theaters do not insert commercials into the=20
"feature presentation." And they certainly do not=20
need to edit the movie for objectionable content.=20
Likewise, you will not find many commercial=20
interruptions during a DVD movie presentation.

The closest thing that OTA broadcasters have to=20
the HD movie theater experience in your home is=20
MovieBeam (and it's just SDTV quality).

How much do broadcasters pay CE manufacturers and=20
retailers to promote their distribution system?=20
Nada.

But broadcasters (via government intervention in=20
the marketplace) are forcing CE manufacturers to=20
include an ATSC tuner in new sets. A tuner that=20
the vast majority of consumers will NEVER use=20
because broadcasters do not offer a compelling=20
reason to put up an antenna.

Please do not take this personally. If all=20
broadcasters were as forward thinking as Sinclair=20
we might not be in this mess. You know ALL too=20
well what happens when Sinclair tries to be=20
innovative...