[opendtv] Re: Global warming - was A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:31:43 -0500

On 2/10/07, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > It is a good mental exercise to examine what it would take to accomplish
 > such a task in the same light as what it would take to control the
 > Earth's weather systems.

It is probably much the same task, creating better and better computer

models, assuming this can even be done past a certain point.  The
ability to more accurately predict the outcomes of possible future
events and actions often gives you MUCH greater control at little cost.

For instance, if you could predict a dangerous meteor collision far
enough away in space and time you could likely deflect something else
smaller into it's path and change its trajectory with not much more
energy than jumping up and down on it.

- Tom

Hate to be nit picky but wouldn't jumping up and down on it just
transfer energy back and forth with no net affect on the trajectory?
Know what you are trying to say though.

Saw something on an old nature show about African cattleman who, to
water their cattle at a watering hole, were filling and handing up
skins of water 15 feet to where the cattle could get it. The narrator
talked about how easy it would be to fix the water hole so this would
be unnecessary but that these were PROUD cattleman who would not stoop
to such undignified manual labor.

Presented with the same problem any of us would be designing and
making some sort of rudimentary system that would have cut the "manual
labor" involved by 90%. The impression I got was that these herdsman
had been doing this their way forever.

Things are moving incredibly fast in our understanding of what and
where we are. My grandmother marveled to me that when she was young
she saw the coming of gas lights to her town and the first bicycles.
She lived to see the first Apollo test flights. In my lifetime mankind
did not know of the existence of other galaxies.