[opendtv] Re: Global warming - was A Station Group with a Future

Well said Bert!

I think that this example points to the complexity of the system that we are trying to understand. It is very easy to pick one variable that is changing and scare the hell out of people. It is far more difficult to build good models of a very complex system that we still do not understand.

With all of the furor last week announcing the U.N report on climate change, there was almost NO COVERAGE of the fact that the actual report that will be issued in April or May is backing down on many of the claims of previous reports.

One gets a bit hardened to the assault on our intelligence, when on a daily basis, almost everything that happens with weather is blamed on "global warming." Now global warming is causing what was a mild winter to return to historic norms with much of the country covered with snow and/or freezing temperatures.

Did you enjoy the snow in Washington yesterday?

Dale Kelly wrote:

 Want something else to fret about in your free time? Another
 crises known as world dimming....somewhat akin to my memory,
 I suppose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_trans.shtml

Dale, on the contrary, this could be good news. The water vapor part,
more than the pollution part, of course. Because it shows that there are
clever built-in self-regulating mechanisms at work.

This dimming effect was actually reported widely after Mt Pinatubo
erupted in the Philippines in 1991. It supposedly cooled the planet for
a couple of years. But more to the point, if increased surface heat
creates more water vapor, and that water vapor then shields the planet
from the sun, that should counteract the heating effect.

If you can burn hydrocarbon fuels without creating pollution, just
mainly creating CO2 and H2O as is the case with perfect combustion, then
in principle the heating effects of the CO2 are countered by the cooling
effects of the water vapor from the combustion process as well as from
the warming oceans?

Removing the contrails after 9/11 caused bigger temperature variations
to occur throughout the day, the very same thing that global warming is
accused of doing.

There seem to be built-in mechanisms that accommodate even some degree
of human madness. And, in principle, why shouldn't this be the case? We
too are natural products of this ecosystem.