[opendtv] Re: Global warming - was A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:46:02 -0500

On 2/8/07, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is easy to imagine the greater dinosaur philosophers arguing that
life would otherwise be so improbable that the very fact they lived here
for so many millions of years meant this neighborhood of space time was
somehow particularly dinosaur-friendly, either as if someone was looking
out for them or the system was somehow just very serendipitously
optimized for dinosaur survival.

In hindsight we know they were wrong.

- Tom

And the dinosaurs had a much better argument. Their "ecosystem" did
them well for 40,000 times as long as the human "ecosystem" has
existed.

We could have the same argument you suggest the dinosaur philosophers
had in say another 199 million years.

For example we could surmise that the human "ecosystem" had served us
well since we are  still around after 200 million years like the
dinosaurs were and though all the ice melted and the earth became
water world and we developed fins and gills again it was better than
the alternative, thinking and acting to control our environment.

Of course since we were aquatic again we had lost our ability for
space flight and would not have any ability to deter that 100 mile
across object that we did not know was approaching our planet.

Of course we had not worried about such happening since they only
happen once in a blue (very sad) moon. What's a moon by the way. No
one had seen ours in millions of years. It seems to have wandered
away.

Don't worry be happy, our ecosystem is the best and it has lots of
clever ideas stored up just for our benefit. Nothing can beat a "self"
regulating system. I wonder what our ecosystem dreams about when it is
not thinking about us on moonless nights in the far future, after we
are long gone. Maybe it will come up with a new way to control the
Earth's more errant wobble or a new way to have tides. But why?
Without us imaginative but very needy humans around it may just go to
sleep.

Bob Miller